Baker

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fiction story - Free Tickets Part 1 cont.

Shae was glad that Saturday was finally here. This meant she didn’t have to be up early and go to work. She had the whole day to do whatever she wished. She didn’t have to worry about breakfast that morning. Katie was already in the kitchen making eggs, buscuits, and had put out a bowl of fresh strawberries. Shae was still upstairs as she smelled the aroma. Still in her pjs she walked into Rose’s room. Shae hated to wake her mother.
“Sorry to wake you mom but I need to check your blood pressure and give you your meds.” Shae said sweetly.
“Mmmm, okay.” Rose wearily sat up in her bed.
Shae bought an automatic blood pressure wristband cuff that was kept by Rose’s bed. Shae put it around Rose’s wrist and pushed the button. While waiting for it to do its thing Shae went for Rose’s medicine in the drawer of the nightstand. The medicine was neatly placed inside a medicine dispenser. Shae took it out of the drawer and placed it on the night stand’s surface. At the same time she grabbed a medicine cup to put all the pills in. The blood pressure cuff was finished. She read the number and logged it in a book she also kept in the night stand drawer.
“It’s better this morning than it was last night.” Shae smiled. “I’m going to get you some water. I’ll be right back.” She did so and wasn’t gone but a few minutes. She placed the small cup of water on the surface of the night stand. Took the medicine dispenser and put Saturday morning’s pills into the medicine cup. “Here.” She handed Rose both items.
Rose took the medicine then drank them down. “What time is it?”
Shae looked at the clock on the night stand. “9 am. I think Katie is cooking breakfast. Are you going to come down or do you want breakfast in bed this morning?”
“I’ll come down thanks.”
Shae went to the closet to get Rose’s robe hanging on the inside of the door. “Here. Do you want me to wait for you?”
“Thanks and no. I can make it. I have much more energy today.” Rose smiled.
Shae smiled back and made her way down the stairs. Katie was taking the bisquits out of the oven as Shae walked into the kitchen.
“What can I do to help?” Shae offered.
“You can set the table.” Katie answered as she began buttering the bisquits.
“Sure.” Shae did as she was asked.
The table was all set when Rose made it okay to the kitchen. They all sat around the table.
“I was thinking of going to the movies tonight. Do either of you want to join me?” Katie asked.
“Not me. I’m going to the opera tonight with Brandy.” Shae stated.
“Opera? Why on earth would you want to do that?”
“What’s wrong with going to an opera?”
“I would think it would be difficult to understand it considering it’s in Italian.”
“Not all operas are in Italian.”
“So this one is in English?”
“No. But it doesn’t matter. The actors tell the story by their movements, gestures, and such.”
“I don’t know. I would be a bit frustrated not understanding what the heck they were singing.”
“Be that as it may I still intend to go. I’ve always wanted to see one; now I get to.”
“Operas are beautiful and marvelous.” Rose stated out of the blue.
“When did you see an opera?” Shae wondered how she didn’t know this about her mother.
“Oh, long, long ago before you and your father. The year before I went to college I went to Italy.”
“You’re kidding.”
“No. I know I never told you but it’s true. Even your father didn’t know.”
“Wow, you’re gonna have to spill the beans on this story.” Katie found this fact fascinating.
“There’s not that much to tell.” Rose lied.
“Like the heck there ain’t.” Katie argued. “There’s no way you could spend a whole year there and nothing happen.” She paused. “There had to be a guy….something.”
“Well, like you two I had a group of friends I hung out with. There was myself, Hiedi who is from Sweden, Dan who is from England, Franchesca who is from Rome, Bart who is from Venice, Donald who is from New York, and Vencent who is from Sicily. We all lived together in Franchesca’s big cottage that was located about 30 miles from Rome. It is a sheep farm so there was a lot of land.”
“Did you herd sheep?” Shae wondered.
“No. There were two other men who did that.” Rose answered.
“Did they live there too?”
“Not in the house with us but in an adjacent house to the right. The two houses were separated by a fence.”
“How come I never knew about this?”
“I don’t know. I guess it just got lost somewhere and was never talked about.”
“Why? Did something bad happen there or something?”
“No. At least I don’t think it did.”
So what does this have to do with anything? Well, it will be explained later.

No comments:

Post a Comment